Update Takes Guesswork Out of Parking
- Shows parking options
- Live weather updates
- Gives out Destination information
Navigon hasannounced a free update for its Android navigation app, MobileNavigator. The update is available for MobileNavigator for Samsung, which is preinstalled on selected Samsung Galaxy smartphones and the Galaxy Tab 7-inch in Australia, as well as for Navigon’s Google Checkout version in the Android Market.
The app is compatible with Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), turning tablets into navigation devices. The latest version has several new features designed to help drivers throughout their entire trip, such as live weather information and a new function that can assist in finding parking spaces at the upcoming destination.
Other new features include:
- Clever Parking: This feature takes the guesswork out of finding a parking space, so drivers can spend less time looking for parking and more time enjoying their destination. When approaching a destination, a “P” icon appears in the app’s map view. Drivers can tap this icon to see a list of available nearby parking options, complete with distance information, determining where to park before arriving at the location.
- Weather Live: MobileNavigator’s Weather Live feature displays real-time weather updates—including temperature and weather conditions. Having this information immediately available helps drivers anticipate any weather conditions, such as rain or snow, and better prepare for weather conditions at the destination. Drivers can also access a three-day forecast.
- Destination Information Screen: Using this feature,drivers can see a summary of important destination information, which can help with easy decision making on-the-go on where to eat, stay, purchase gas or shop before arriving at their destination. This display can also provide parking and weather information.
- Route Planning: The new route-planning feature allows to plan out a trip ahead of time. Users can enter up to 50 destinations for a route and save routes for later use.
The MobileNavigator update also includes enhancements such as manual map zoom, which allows drivers to zoom in and out of maps using a two-finger pinch; display of street names in 3D mode; App2SD, which allows users to store approx. 50 percent of the app’s memory to an SD card, saving device memory and freeing up space for more apps; Auto-off GPS, which turns off the GPS feature when the app is running in the background, saving power and battery life; and a direct web link to Navigon’s Android FAQ site so drivers can quickly find answers to common questions.
MobileNavigator transforms Android smartphones and tablets into comprehensive navigation devices, comparable to standalone units. The app helps drivers to arrive stress-free and on time with spoken directions and a unique combination of advanced driving guidance. MobileNavigator relies on the devices’ GPS receiver as well as the pre-loaded Navteq maps, providing navigation capabilities when a cell signal is not available.