Trend Mirco Offer Cure For Apple Fans
- Stops Morcut malware
- Claims Apple security is ‘basic’
- Affects Snow Leopard and Lion O/S
MacClean is a free clean-up solution designed by Trend Micro for Apple users that may be infected by the Morcut malware. Once downloaded, this easy-to-use tool scans your Mac and alerts you to any infections found. On discovery of an infection, MacClean prompts you to remove the malware and notifies you once the clean-up has been successful.
This type of malware affecting Snow Leopard and Lion users typically installs secretly on Macs and stays on the machines until it’s removed. Once installed, it runs certain commands that it receives remotely from a malicious user. Doing this puts affected Macs, and information found on the Macs, at risk.
New pieces of malware entering the Mac world like Morcut serve as another warning that Mac users need to be more vigilant than ever before.
What can you do to protect your Mac? Here are some simple tips:
- Always keep up-to-date with patches and updates.
- Apple’s built-in security software is basic. Checking for known malicious files alone will not protect you from the more sophisticated threats like Morcut. Go with a third party security app which can block threats dynamically before they reach your Mac.
- Be alert. It sounds obvious but don’t believe the hype and think that having a Mac makes you impervious to attacks. As we’ve seen more and more recently, the bad guys are targeting Mac users.