RoadMate Takes Over From Dedicated GPS Devices
- Has Tunnel Assist Mode when in tunnels
- Gives route options
- Free version missing some features
Magellan’s RoadMate navigation app, brought to you by Navman, includes a range of GPS capabilities usually only found on stand-alone sat nav devices, claims the vendor.
This product, which will be available to download on iTunes on Monday 12 December 2011, was developed by the brand’s Auckland team and has been available in the United States for over a year.
Businesses listed on TrueLocal that are implemented into the app include cafés, restaurants, retail stores and hotels.
Other features the Magellan RoadMate app are:
- Turn-by-turn navigation offering you audio and visual instructions and directions specifying the next move you need to make.
- Continued navigation while calling, playing music and auto music fading for incoming calls.
- Comes pre-installed with Australian and New Zealand NAVTEQ maps.
- The ability to zoom into your map so you can clearly see your surroundings and where you are heading.
- Pedestrian mode provides you with directions when you are walking.
- Premium safety alerts including spoken alerts also for red light cameras, speed cameras, combined cameras and accident Black Spots;
- A Tunnel Assist option that ensures your GPS signal doesn’t cut out when you are travelling through a tunnel;
- Trip Select that allows you to choose whether you would like to take the fastest or shortest route, or one with minimal highways;
- Multi-stop trip planning which can work out the best route to take when you have many stops to make;
- Road Assist a function that can locate where you are if you breakdown and tell you the closest emergency contact details so you can call for help and
- 3D Junction Views and advanced lane guidance offering more detailed information on where you are and what lane you should be travelling in.
The Magellan RoadMate app also offers a premium car kit with an in-built GPS receiver to place your iPhone in, when using the app. The car kit will automatically enhance your navigation signal, has a powerful amplified hands-free speaker and charges your phone when plugged in. It’s also essential for safety purposes.
A free version of the app that doesn’t include turn-by-turn navigation will also be accessible as a free download on iTunes. The Magellan RoadMate brought to you by Navman joins Navman’s current MY Series and EZY in car-sat navs as well the Magellan outdoor eXplorist range.
Magellan RoadMate app $59.99
Magellan premium car kit price $99.95
SUNA Live Traffic $19.99 (for a lifetime subscription)