Netgear Router Offers Cloud Storage Solution
- No CD set up necessary
- Private cloud file sharing available
- Reduces disconnects and slow downs
Netgear has announced the launch of the N600 Wireless Dual Band Router – Premium Edition (WNDR3800), the first home router to offer Clear Channel Selector and the first to create private cloud file sharing through Netgear’s new ReadyShare Cloud service.
Clear Channel Selector automatically detects when the wifi channel in use becomes overcrowded and switches to another less-crowded channel. Wifi overcrowding is a growing problem as the number of wifi access points proliferates and there’s more competition for wifi frequencies from household devices. Clear Channel Selector creates a more reliable home wifi network by reducing sudden disconnects and slowdowns, especially important for demanding applications such as HD video streaming, multi-player gaming and online voice or video calls.
ReadyShare Cloud transforms a USB hard drive or flash drive plugged into the USB port of the N600 Premium Edition into a private “cloud” storage system to provide secure access and sharing within the home network or across the Internet. There’s no need to go through the process of selecting a public file-sharing site and then uploading files, and no worries about privacy policies or what happens if the service suddenly goes out of business. Instead, ReadyShare Cloud makes it easy to designate which files and folders on the USB drive can be shared. These shared files can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection, as well as through apps from Netgear for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android smartphones and tablets.
Netgear’s N600 Premium Edition is simple to install and use. There’s no CD required for installation, and the router can be configured through a simple browser-based interface accessible on PCs, Macs, smartphones, the iPad and other tablets.
- It is built around a 680MHz processor backed by 1MB of flash memory and 128MB of RAM. The device also boasts the following features:
- ReadyShare Printer – USB printers plugged into the N600 Premium Edition can be accessed by any computer linked to the home network to print wirelessly
- Netgear Genie – a free computer software utility for monitoring, controlling and repairing the home network
- Netgear Live Parental Controls – a centralised, flexible and reliable way for parents to control the websites their children visit and what times of day they can go online, covering all devices on the network including Windows PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets
- Guest network – allows visitors to go online without the home network password and without gaining access to computers, printers, storage drives and other home-network devices
- DLNA – supports the DLNA standard for streaming media to DLNA-enabled HDTVs, Blu-ray players and game consoles
- Automatic Quality-of-Service (QoS) – provides the best possible viewing experience for Internet video by giving priority to video streams over other home network traffic
- Expanded TiVo storage – for TiVo owners, a USB drive connected to the router can serve as extra storage for TiVo video recordings
- Fast wireless – dual-band wireless-N for simultaneous speeds of up to 600 megabits per second, divided between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
- Fast wired connections – four high-speed gigabit Ethernet ports
- Automatic Wife security – the router comes out of the box with wireless security turned on, so home Wife networks are protected by default
- Open platform – do-it-yourself tech enthusiasts can tweak performance and features by installing open source firmware and joining the open router community
- Apple Time Machine Compatible – stores back-up data to attached USB HDD and supports up to 1TB of storage