Netgear Router For Macs
- Works with Time Machine and Bonjour
- Includes live parental controls
- Offers guest network access
Wireless Extreme is Netgear’s first home router to be optimised for Mac-specific technologies and is said to come with the speed, range and premium features found in Netgear’s latest consumer routers.
The Wireless Extreme includes the features found in Netgear’s family of routers – parental controls, DLNA compatible media streaming, a broadband usage meter and simultaneous dual-band wireless performance. In addition, the device also features the company’s Genie, which is a dashboard-style application that provides router and network management, CD-less installation and support for Mac-specific technology, such as Time Machine and Bonjour.
For Mac users, Netgear’s ReadyShare technology enables the unit to double as a functional Time Machine backup device with an attached USB external hard drive. The new router also supports Apple’s Bonjour automated networking technology, which allows Macs, PCs and other Bonjour compatible devices to find each other on a home network and share USB printers
It features dual-band wireless N networking (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and a 680Mhz processor to support HD media streaming, multiplayer online gaming and simultaneous downloads. The router is DLNA certified for streaming media to DLNA-compatible high-definition televisions, Blu-ray players and game consoles.
Other features include:
- Guest network access. Visitors can go online freely without the need for your secure login information. The guest network also prevents users from seeing and accessing your computers, printers, storage drives and other home-network devices.
- DLNA. A USB hard drive plugged into the router becomes a powerful DLNA media server for sharing any entertainment content stored on the drive – including video, music and photos – to DLNA-certified, Internet-ready consumer electronic devices, including televisions, Blu-ray players and game consoles.
- Gigabit wired Ethernet. The Wireless Extreme comes with four high-speed gigabit Ethernet ports for ultra-fast wired connections.
- Leading Security. The router supports WPA and WPA2 protocols for WiFi, has double firewall (SPI and NAT) protection against Internet threats, and provides Denial of Service attack prevention.
- Broadband usage meter. This tool enables users to monitor their Internet data consumption and can send customised alerts when usage is close to monthly bandwidth limits, avoiding costly overage fees for those with metered service plans.
- Netgear Live Parental Controls. This centralised, flexible and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones and tablets, provides a safe online environment for children and teenagers – no subscription required.
- Automatic wifi security. The unit comes with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box with a pre-configured network name and password so home wifi networks are protected by default.