Netgear First To Release Wifi Router With New Standard
- Three times the speed of other routers
- Increases HD coverage area
- Speeds of up to 1.3GB
Netgear has announced its R6300 wifi router, which incorporates the new 802.11ac dual band standard. Offering 5th generation wifi at gigabit speeds, the this device is said to be up to three times faster than routers using the current wifi standard, 802.11n.
The upcoming 802.11ac wireless standard is the world’s fastest wifi. With gigabit wifi speeds, 802.11ac enables users to download web content and sync large video or music files up to three times faster than ever before. As Australians continue to embrace mobile internet and tablets, 802.11ac offers better speed while using a similar amount of battery power as devices operating with the current wifi standard.
This device is said to increase the coverage area for HD streaming in the home. Speeds of up to 1300 Mbps on 5GHz and 450 Mbps on 2.4GHz allow consumers to download web content from any device in the home. The router is also backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n legacy WiFi devices.
Other features of the router include:
- Netgear Genie: A free app for PCs, Macs, iOS and Android smartphones and tablets enables home users to control, monitor, repair, and manage their home networks through a dashboard. Netgear MyMedia: The Genie mobile app feature provides the ability to find photos, video or music files anywhere on the network and play them on a DLNA media player. AirPrint Support: The Genie app enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an iPad or iPhone. Guest network access: The Genie app makes setting up a guest network simple. Guests and visitors can go online through the router without the need for secure login information. The guest network also prevents users from seeing and accessing a household’s computers, printers, storage devices and other home network devices.
- ReadySHARE Printer: Makes it easy to turn any existing USB printer into a fully functional networked printer that is fully compatible with Macs and PCs.
- Media Server-DLNA: The R6300 Router is DLNA ready and can stream to any DLNA compatible device in your house, including the latest Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, media players, game consoles, handheld devices, tablets and more.
- Netgear Live Parental Controls: A centralised, flexible, and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones and tablets. No subscription is required.
- Automatic Wifi Security: Comes with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box, complete with a pre-configured network name and password, protecting home WiFi networks by default.
- Easy Installation: No CD required so users can set it up with smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, and even MacBook Air.
- Two USB ports: To simultaneously support USB storage and USB printer on the router.