Get Ready For Valentine Day Spam
- Valentine spam spikes
- Phishing attacks also on the rise
- Don’t give out personal info
Valentine’s Day brings excitement for celebrating love and affection between dear ones, but also gives license for your run-of-the-mill spammers to get out and cause a nuisance.
Spammers are gearing up for Valentine’s Day with several offers like product spam, gift cards, personalised cards, and financial spam. Security Software specialist, Symantec, has been observing Valentine’s Day-related spam since early January and we have recently seen a spike in product spam related to the event.
Below are Valentine’s Day related spam samples:
- Subject: An original gift for Valentine's Day
- Subject: Take Her Breath Away
- Subject: Super great designer watches
- Subject: Personalized gifts for your Valentine
- Subject: Very Hush-Hush Valentine’s Day Offer
- Subject: The best Valentines gifts
- Subject: Quick and Easy Valentine's Day Gifts
- Subject: $19.99 Flowers for Valentine's Day + FREE Vase
Spammers promoting fake product offers at discounted price and the URL mentioned in the message redirects the user to the spam Web page which asks for personal information.
Symantec has also seen interesting phishing attacks based on the Valentine’s Day theme. The domains used in phishing attacks resemble the name of the event.