Better Late Than Never As Lenovo Enters Tablet Market
- Tablets use Android OS
- Both consumer and commercial units available
- Under $1000
Lenovo has entered both the personal and commercial tablet market with the IdeaPad Tablet K1 for consumers and the ThinkPad Tablet for business customers.
Both feature the Android 3.1 platform, which means there are more than 250,000 apps available for consumers.
The IdeaPad and ThinkPad tablets feature NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core mobile processors that offer extreme multitasking, noticeably faster web browsing with built-in Adobe* Flash Player, console-quality gaming and low power consumption for improved battery life.
Weighing under 730 grams, the IdeaPad Tablet K1 offers integrated Bluetooth and 802.11 Wi-Fi connectivity. It offers several features and tools as standard. Other features include:
- It is preloaded with more than 40 apps from the likes of Amazon, Adobe, Electronic Arts, Rovio, Zinio, Datavi, and others including Need for Speed Shift, Angry Birds, Kindle reading app and Documents to Go.
- Users can browse all websites and watch online videos with ease thanks to Flash 10.3.
- Users can access a network of friends and social sites all in one place, with Lenovo's SocialTouch app, which effectively creates a one-stop social connection. It comes with a two-megapixel front-facing and a five-megapixel rear-facing webcam.
- The ability to watch movies and videos in HD on a 1280 X 800 resolution screen. The mini HDMI connection allows up to 1080p HD viewing when connected to an HDTV or monitor.
- The ability sync, store and share files, music and photos with free integrated cloud storage available with every IdeaPad K1, allowing users to rely less on their local storage.
- Access to hundreds of thousands of apps in Android Market and apps tested exclusively for premium function on the IdeaPad Tablet K1 in the Lenovo App Shop.
The ThinkPad Tablet includes a digitiser pen to take notes straight onto the screen, a full-size USB port, mini-USB, full-size SD card slot, and mini-HDMI for connecting to external projectors and displays, as well as an optional ThinkPad quality Keyboard Folio Case with optical TrackPoint.
Data remains safe on the ThinkPad Tablet with layered data security, and the device is supported by IT managers due to a suite of business partner solutions that include anti-theft software and the ability to disable the tablet if the device is lost or stolen with Computrace. Additional security features include virtual desktop support with Citrix Receiver, simple zero-touch deployment with LanDesk and secure email support available from Good Technology.
Offering a 10.1-inch WXGA (1280×800) display weighing less than 730 grams, the ThinkPad Tablet also comes with an IPS display for a 178-degree viewing angle and scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass. This business-class device keeps professionals connected, productive and entertained while they’re away from the office and their home.
When work happens on the go, ThinkPad Tablet allows users to view and edit Microsoft Office documents with the preloaded Documents to Go app by DataViz. Or they can jot down notes that automatically convert to handwritten text with the ThinkPad Tablet Pen. When even more versatility is required, users can plug in the Keyboard Folio for fast, comfortable and accurate typing and mouse control.
With WiFi connectivity, and 3G models available,2GB of free cloud storage, a standard size USB port and SD Card Reader, and Lenovo’s file copy utility, sharing media files and documents with other people and electronic devices is said to be easy. Presentations look even better when connecting to an external monitor via the built-in mini-HDMI port. Users can sync key files and folders with their tablet every time they plug into their Windows 7 PC. With Apps like ooVoo, dual cameras allow users to show either themselves or what they are looking at in a video conference. Users can keep in touch with friends and business contacts using Lenovo’s exclusive SocialTouch app, which puts social networks, email, and calendar notices all in one easy-to-use interface.The 3G ThinkPad Tablet will provide speeds of up to 21 MBPS.
The unit can connect to a range of devices and networks without hands-on help from IT administrators. Users can utilise corporate network passwords to access their device and connect to corporate email; with the certified app, Good for Enterprise. Users will have the ability to protect confidential data with security features including SD card encryption, lost device disablement and anti-theft software.
ThinkPad Tablet customers will have access to Lenovo’s full portfolio of enterprise-level services, such as ThinkPlus Support, which provides business customers direct access to advanced technicians with tablet specific experience. Lenovo will also offer accidental damage Tablet Protection, which gives business customers coverage for non-warranted damage, such as operational and structural damage incurred under normal operating conditions. In addition, Lenovo’s Imaging Services help save IT departments from having to do custom images for each machine. This ensures that even with flash images, the warranty is protected and the tablet is ready-to-go right out-of-the-box.
IdeaPad K1 16GB wifi $569
IdeaPad K1 16GB 3G $709
IdeaPad K1 32GB wifi $679
IdeaPad K1 32GB 3G $809
ThinkPad 16GB wifi $599
ThinkPad 16GB 3G $729
ThinkPad 32GB 3G $839