Additional Funding For NBN
The Rudd Government is providing an extra $15 million for the National Broadband Network (NBN) over four years to 2013-14, most of which will go to supporting the bureaucracy surrounding the roll out.
Monies will go to:
- fund policy and regulatory support for the roll-out;
- provide for overseeing the contract with Nextgen Networks to construct the Regional Backbone Blackspots transmission links;
- and manage the Government’s shareholding in NBN Co Ltd.
In addition, the Government will provide $24.0 million over five years to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to establish and administer the proposed regulatory arrangements for the National Broadband Network.
This measure will fund the ACCC’s regulatory oversight of NBN Co including for:
- implementing specific access arrangements for NBN Co;
- administering the NBN Co regulatory framework, including assessment of price and non-price terms and conditions for access;
- providing advice to Government on relevant regulatory matters; and undertaking regulatory reporting.