Super Fast Wifi Router From Netgear
- Can be configured to smartphones and slates
- Suitable for multi-storey houses
- 30 percent faster retrieving of files
Netgear’s latest wireless router offers speeds up to 900 megabits per second of combined wifi speed, which means it is suitable for applications such as wireless 3D and HD video streaming, multiplayer gaming, and backing up large files.
The Netgear N900 supports a full 450 Mbps in both its 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, giving households the capability to handle multiple applications simultaneously. Six sensitive internal antennas, boosted by high-powered radio amplifiers, provide more wifi range and speed than any other home router on the market, claims Netgear.
It also offers two USB ports to simultaneously share a printer and a USB hard drive or flash drive across the home network. Due to its more powerful processor, saving and retrieving files through the network from a USB drive is claimed to be up to 30 per cent faster than any other router currently available.
There’s no CD required for installation, and the router can be configured through a browser on PCs, Macs, smartphones, the iPad and other tablets. Also bundled with the unit is Netgear’s Genie, a free utility for PC and Mac users that is a dashboard for monitoring, controlling and repairing home networks as well as viewing devices connected to the router through a network map. Netgear’s live parental controls is free and gives parents a centralised method for monitoring the sites their children visit and the ability to restrict usage times for all the devices connected to the home network.
Additional features of the unit include:
- ReadyShare Printer – USB printers plugged into the device can be accessed by any computer linked to the home network to print wirelessly.
- Guest network access – allows visitors to go online without the home network password and without gaining access to computers, printers, storage drives and other home-network devices.
- DLNA – a USB hard drive plugged into the router becomes a DLNA media server for sharing entertainment content stored on the drive to DLNA-certified, Internet-ready consumer electronic devices including televisions, Blu-ray players and game consoles.
- Security – supports WPA and WPA2 protocols for wifi, has double firewall (SPI and NAT) protection against Internet threats, and provides Denial of Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Scheduled wifi off – to conserve power, the wifi radios inside the N900 can be turned off on a custom schedule.
- Access Point mode – Through the browser interface, the N900 can be set to function as a wifi access point, which can be connected to any router. This allows the unit to connect to a gateway from an Internet service provider, for example, to expand household wifi coverage and increase home network speed among networked devices.
- Usage meter – monitors Internet data consumption and sends customised alerts when usage is close to monthly bandwidth limits.