Apple Warns Of Static Shock

If you’re getting static shocks from your iPod or iPhone or their accessories, there’s a reasonings

Apple has announced on its website that some users might be getting small, quick static shocks from their iPhone or iPod headphones when using the portable devices.

As the company’s website explains:

“When using headphones in areas where the air is very dry, it is easy to build up static electricity and possible for your ear to receive a small electrostatic discharge from the headphones. Receiving a static shock from a pair of earbuds does not necessarily indicate an issue with the iPod, iPhone, or earbuds.

“This condition is very similar to dragging your feet across a carpet and receiving a static shock by touching a door knob. However, instead of the static charge building up on your body, the charge builds up on the device that the earbuds are connected to. Likewise, instead of the static buildup discharging through your finger when you touch a door knob, it discharges through the earbuds.”

As Apple rightly points out, this is not limited to just their devices, but will happen with most potable CE gear. However, there is not much you can do about it. They do ask that you try raising the moisture in the air (wonder how many carbon credits you’ll use up doing that!), buy an anti-static spray, try wearing clothes with natural fibres. Sure seems a lot of work to listen to your music, or calling a friend. Maybe some bright spark and Apple, or other portable device manufacturer, could come up with an anti-static device built into the unit? Nah, probably cost too much…



Post Horizontal Banner

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *